Friday, March 14, 2008

Pre-Test Zen

Unlike many of my peers, I hate cramming up to the last second for an exam. I have to leave for a physio test in 15 minutes. I stayed up extra late studying, I got up extra early to study more…went to class, came back here for a little since we have time. I finished looking through the lectures for the third time…and I just can’t do it anymore. I mean I had time, but I don’t want to. I think PERFORMANCE on the actual exam is quite important as well and I historically do terribly if I study up to the last second.

I like to find what I call my ‘pre-test zen’ where I completely relax, breathe easy, and jump on in. This week has been a whirlwind and I can’t wait for 1.5 hours from now when I can take my first night off in a month. There were some minor disappointments…got a high B in anatomy instead of that A was I hoping for..but meh – one credit isn’t going to make me lose any sleep. Managed a solid B on the neuroanatomy midterm and seeing as I was worried about even passing the class, I am plenty happy.

None of these minor disappointments can compare to the euphoric feeling I got when I got my first restorative performance exam back. Solid ‘A’… Hell yea! You don’t understand how intimidating this aspect of dental school is when you have zero experience using your hands outside of playing a few instruments and/or videogames. I started out horribly, but practice pays folks. I have gone in on several weekends to simply practice preps and it clearly worked out for me. Granted, half the grade was based on my own evaluation, so my actual prep was probably closer to a B than A..but I DON’T CARE! I am still quite pleased to be doing so well in this class. And it is worth 5 credits..a lot.

Well I also wanted to quickly address all of these emails I am getting. I never expected to get so many, so I must apologize to everyone I haven’t responded to yet…I will get around to it..promise. I feel like an internet celebrity now.

And I gotta go take this damn test now.