Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Another Batch Finished

I am back for another off-afternoon. We had an oral surgery mid-term this morning, followed by our first fixed performance exam (3 unit-provisional in 3 hours). Seeing as I still have trouble finishing these temps in 3 hours, I really have no idea how I am supposed to cut the preps and make the provisional on a real patient in 2.5 hours (not including seating, anesthetizing, and needing constant check-offs). I suppose my provisionals won’t be graded under such scrutiny by clinical professors though which is the only saving grace.

Needless to say, I was practicing over the weekend and generally finishing on time. I can make a functional temp really fast, but fine-tuning and getting everything to look perfect takes hours. I feel like I passed the exam though (no major mistakes). Unfortunately I will never feel at ease until I see the grade.

So aside from a brutal ortho mid-term, I have been getting through this semester pretty well. Spring break is only one week away, and I am edging nearer and nearer the end of this long D-2 year. I must admit, I am ready to treat patients exclusively. It is a lot more exhaustive, but I get so much more out of patient interaction at this point and now I just want the experience. I was assigned another new patient, but I unfortunately won’t have a solid block of clinic time until April which is frustrating. There really isn’t much I can do about it. They are trying to get us into the clinics, but with all the upperclassmen requiring chairs and all of our lectures/pre-clinic coursework, there just isn’t as much opportunity as I would like.

Things are moving along, the weather is getting warmer, the sun is staying out longer, and winter is beginning to die off (finally). Not much else to say, school has numbed my writing sensibilities so I will leave it as is for now.

Time to write some BS paper and study for pharm.