Tuesday, March 2, 2010

D-4 Rotations

So as I may have mentioned in previous posts, we are required to do at least 60 days of extramural rotations during the D-4 year. Now I hadn’t thought much about this until the last month or so, mainly because I can’t see that far ahead. Another factor would probably be that I don’t really like any of the options at this point. Either way, it appears that I would be forced to live somewhere else for several weeks and that just cramps my style.

However, I recently received word that I have been selected to participate in the 2x2 program. What the hell is the 2x2 program you ask? Basically it is how the college eventually wants to handle rotations in the future. You spend 2 weeks in the college, and then you spend 2 weeks on rotation. Rinse, wash, repeat. This goes on your entire fourth year so you essentially spend half the year on rotation. All of the rotation sites are located in or near Chicago so there will be no up-rooting (at least that is what I’ve heard). It was started two years ago as a pilot program with maybe 8 students participating. This year I believe 12 participated. 21 students from my class were invited to participate – but I’m unsure how many will actually accept.

I have no clue how the faculty chooses who is eligible. It can’t be based on production, because I am probably slightly above-average if even that high. I’ve done a reasonable amount of phase III (crown, denture, etc), but not tons. So who know? Either way, it is satisfying to get the offer. It is sort of a validation knowing that the faculty place enough confidence in me to go off-site without their supervision for half my senior year. More importantly, this offer sort of makes my rotation decision for me. I already had no idea what I wanted to do, so I may as well do this right?

Speaking with a few others who have been invited, the pros seem blatant. It will be a TON of experience, period. It will get you out of the school, which at this point, can feel more like a hindrance to learning than an adjunct. I really have no idea though as I haven’t talked with current fourth years doing the 2x2…maybe I should get on that.

We have a meeting about the program at the end of March, so maybe that will answer some questions. However, I feel like it will be more of a sales pitch to get us to accept more than anything else. Again though, none of the other rotation options stand out to me, so I probably will accept regardless of what I hear.

Updates shall be forthcoming.

In other news, school is pretty calm right now. I have gotten most of my requirements finished or at least started. I am staying surprisingly on top of all the bullshit papers we have to produce, and I’m also starting to put together my two patient portfolio presentations that are coming up in April.

Spring break is literally three days away. Sweet.