Monday, February 14, 2011

MOCK?

As you may recall, or may find out by simply scrolling down a bit, you will see that I recently completed the MOCK CRDTS patient-based exam last tuesday. Well, in stark contrast to the mannikin exam, our grades were provided today.

Good news to all, I passed all three procedures. While perio was a bit of close call, I still survived. Most of my mistakes were actually clerical and not clinical which is ok with me, that is why we did this exam, to learn the process. I am going to make a checklist for the real exam to make sure I don't miss any signatures or leave any information blank.

For all my loyal readers, you may note that this the first MOCK exam that I didn't fail. NICE! It would be a real pain in the ass to remediate portions of this test because we essentially would have to do another performance exam in our home clinic prior to graduation. Rumor has it that about 1/3 of the class failed something which is a better percentage than our mannikin exam (about 1/2 I believe), but it still is a high number. Usually a number of people do indeed fail CRDTS, but I don't think it ever comes close to 1/3.

I definitely don't agree with a few remarks on my gradesheet..most notably the gingival contact not being broken on my class II (when it indeed was broken and passable with an explorer), but hell, even with a substandard grade on one section, I still got a reasonable score on the procedure. I even pulled out a hundo on my posterior composite restoration, not to pat myself on the back or anything, just sayin'.

The bottom-line is that despite being extremely stressed and having several things go wrong, the day ended up panning out positively. It was a great experience to have and knowing I can survive a MOCK exam that is graded tough no doubt, all while using less-than-ideal cavities. I'm feeling pretty good assuming I get patients for the real deal.

Speaking of which, I actually won a patient in the lottery this last saturday. So now I only need perio for the real thing. Of course, this is assuming the guy calls me back. Otherwise all bets are off.

So today was allright, despite having an implant crown delivery require re-fab due to the occlusion being MONDO off....bleh.

Allright, that was a quickie but I gotta run.

The light at the end of tunnel is beginning to shimmer!