Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Junk Mail

God bless my undergrad email account and its carefree attitude towards mail. Yea, I don’t need all the junk that eventually finds its way to my cyber address; but you might think, just maybe, that information sent from the Dental School might not be ‘junk.’

Some of you may recall that I applied for a summer research program about 1.5 months ago. I hadn’t heard anything and was assuming that I wasn’t selected. BUT WAIT, I actually have been invited to join the program, and if I hadn’t been checking the “junk mail” box, I would have missed THE MANDATORY MEETING THIS FRIDAY.

Thankfully, I caught this invitation just in time and have sent off a very late confirmation. If they replaced my sorry ass, I will be less than thrilled.

Regardless, I don’t think they will dump me unless I don’t show up for the meeting. This program is definitely going to kill my last summer ever, but I really think it will be beneficial in the long run. I don’t honestly think research is my calling, but I have never done any REAL research, so I want to try. Worst case scenario is that I dislike it. At least I can check research off of my things to do list early in my dental career as opposed to later. Doesn’t hurt to have a little research experience on the CV either.

Essentially, I’ll be working 8:30-5 M-F from June 4th, July 27th. So I still get about three weeks of pure vacation, which isn’t too shabby at all. The only REAL drawback is that I have to really scramble to get settled in my new apartment. I was also sent a list of all the different projects available to the students. I forgot that almost all research involves torturing mice, which I don’t particularly enjoy. I really am interested in oral cancer development though, so I may just have to suck it up. I also saw some pretty interesting projects regarding biomaterials which would most likely help my overall understanding of human dentition.

Supposed to be a pre-professional party on Friday too, hopefully I will be able to get back before everyone is plastered.