Sunday, March 18, 2007

I Sold My Soul Today

I know that I mentioned not getting financial info until May. Well, apparently that was a load of droppings as here I sit, with a massive pile of papers to file away. I am in no way complaining though, because I wanted to get this over and done with.

My parents covered me in undergrad. I also had a lot of money from working during HS and over breaks to handle the miscellaneous expenditures. So really, going from no debt, to being in the hole 40k is more than a little bit overwhelming. Granted, nothing is official until the checks are sent, but I have pretty much signed and given the OK for those checks to come. The really scary part is that this 40k only covers ONE YEAR! I am no math major, but 40 x 4 = 160k. Ouch.

Luckily, I am on spring break right now because all my mailings still come to my parents house. I was greeted with a nice fat evelope brimming with financial joy. I had my dad help out seeing as I didn't want to get "screwed" and wanted alternate opinions. He was actually really surprised with how much aid they offered. I qualified for FULL amount on Direct Stafford loans (subsidized and unsubsidized). I also could have gotten a GRAD plus loan for another 6k. However, they have really crappy interest rates and a 6% initial loan fee (no thanks). Seeing as tuition and all other school related business cap out around 30K, I think getting 40 will be plenty. Also getting 8k as subsidized is really boss. That's right, I said boss.

Thankfully, my parents are giving me the ridiculously nice rent of a mere 700 a month at a place that could very easily go for twice that. Gotta love the family discount. They are also letting me just build up a rent 'tab' so that I don't have to start paying them back until after I graduate. I really can't wait to check this place out come Tuesday.

This first year is going to be a trial/error experience financially. I am already somewhat frugal with money, but I have never really kept tabs on everything I buy. I'll get a better feel of the monthly bill once I see how much the utilities are running for.

I'm also really hoping to knock off the interest on the unsubsidized loans as they accumulate. I really need a filing cabinet for all this crap. Needless to say, I'm glad I got this taken care of today.

I consider this like a marathon game of tag. I send the school some info, they reply by asking for more. I send more, they ask for more. Well UIC, the financial ball is now in your court.

On another note, while musing over the firepit out back with some friends in frigid Illinois spring break conditions, I have decided that I will be hosting two major parties on a yearly basis at my new lodging. I originally only wanted one, but that was new years eve. I soon realized however, that I have a rooftop deck that will not be fun to stand on in frigid Chicago. So I also will be having a summer time bash. More on these in the future.

My blog will most likely evolve on my own personal whims. Sometimes I feel like talking about the world as I see it, other times I feel like bitching. I know the begining posts were very autonomous, but that was present-day me, trying to recap the past 1.5 years of my life in about 14 posts.

However, like I posted in the beginning; the main purpose of this blog is to help future pre-dents/dental students. But hey, if I can chronical some cool experience to look back on, why not!? Let's face it, I am bound to meet some interesting characters while living in the heart of Chicago for at least the next four years.

Now I must go, other things need doing.